January 5, 2007

The Village Idiot - Demo of the Month!...

Gaffa's demo CD of the month (January) is by acoustic/folk/country influenced one-man project The Village Idiot. Especially two things caught my attention when I read the review (read it here in Danish). For the first time ever a demo received 6 out of 6 stars, which for obvious reasons made me curious and wanting to check it out. But equally remarkable (in my opinion) is that Kenni (the man behind it all) and I share the same hometown. And since I'm having a hard time recalling any other interesting artists or bands from "around here", it was quite a (pleasant) surprise to learn that this month's top pick was a "local hero". The songs I've listened to so far do indeed find some inspiration in legendary artists like Nick Drake, Lou Reed and Johnny Cash, though he's definitely not a "copy-cat" (have to quote Gaffa on this). But far more important is that the songs sound really, really great, so it's quite easy to hear why Gaffa was impressed! Wouldn't it be sweat if he was playing live somewhere "downtown" in the near future??
+ Let Her Go
+ Couch Fishing

No comments: