March 13, 2005

I posted the following at blogcritics.org yesterday:

Soundtrack to a positive life

The other day I looked at my top songs and artists at audioscrobbler and realized that there weren't that many songs or artists included that would make me laugh or even smile.

So I decided that I should make a CD or at least a playlist (in my Media Player) that I could call "Soundtrack to a positive life". The only (but indeed rather demanding) criteria was that after listening to the songs I should be able to see the light and the end of even the darkest of tunnels.

With that in mind I started searching, but I quickly had to realize that it really wasn't that easy finding songs matching my criteria. Of course I could pick some novelty songs (e.g. Monty Python) or inferior, but happy sing-a-long dance tunes, but this wasn't really what I was looking for. Instead I wanted a list of songs by some of my favorite artists, which wasn't about the usual broken hearts, the unfairness of the world etc., but with a far more (unusual?) positive view upon life.

After a lengthy period of searching I was able to find the songs listed below, which indeed all make me happy or at least in a very positive mood (though I was forced to have a very flexible attitude towards my novelty and favorite artists "rule"). Not everyone might agree with the songs on the list, so I've tried to include a short motivation for why I have picked each of the 10 songs. Anyway - Here we go:

Badly Drawn Boy: You Were Right
This song is the work of a genius. The whole part about turning Madonna down is wonderful and when I'm old I expect to sing this to my wife: "And the kids were all grown up, but I had to turn her down, 'cos I was still in love with you."

Grandaddy: Now It's On
"Bust the lock off the front door - Once you're outside you won't want to hide anymore". Listen to it and then repeat this over and over. Then you should be ready to face whatever challenge awaits you out there.

Stereophonics: Have a Nice Day
This song is probably not meant to be classified as positive. But if you forget the lyrics, start to hum the melody and then shout "have a nice day" when you reach the chorus, how on earth can you stay depressed?

Fountains of Wayne: Stacy's Mom
I'm 36 years old and really don't think it is funny getting older. But this song reminds me (in a very humorous way) that it wasn't always that fun being a teenager either. "And I know that you think it's just a fantasy. But since your dad walked out your mom could use a guy like me." Didn't we all have fantasies like that?

Ballou: The Bare Necessities
Don't we all know it? No money left on the bank account, meaning no new clothes, CD's, books, meals at restaurants etc. "Look for the bare necessities. The simple bare necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife". Life really doesn't have to be that complicated. Does it?

The Proclaimers: I'm On My Way
Probably remembered by a lot of people for it's inclusion in the first Shrek movie. I positively believe (hope is probably more accurate) that if you sing the line "I'm on my way to what I want from this world" when you're going to a job interview, on a date or to a meeting with your bank, everything will turn out just fine!

Duncan Sheik: On a High
Sometimes it's just a little too easy getting depressed. All you need is some stupid excuse and you're prepared to announce that the world is so unfair. But why spending your time being down, when it's so much more fun being on a high? "And there are so many reasons I could give you why I should be down......but it's a lie it's a lie - don't you believe it." Listen and learn!

Moi Caprice: Artboy Meets Artgirl
Unfortunately this is a song that only a very limited number of people know. A Danish band that did get some airplay on the radio, but never really had a decent breakthrough. The lyrics can be found here. A song that make you believe that love and happiness will prevail!

The Boo Radleys: Wake Up Boo
"Wake up it's a beautiful morning." The first line of the chorus sums it up perfectly. And yes even if it's raining there is always plenty of beautiful things out there to discover. But you have to wake up to see it!

Billy Joel: An Innocent Man
Not exactly the first song that jumps to mind, when you think of a happy song. But if you listen to the lyrics this song probably explain what I'm trying to say better than any other song. "Some people hope for a miracle cure. Some people just accept the world as it is. But I'm not willing to lay down and die. Because I am an innocent man."

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I completely agree with you about the Duncan Sheik tune. It always leaves me smiling.