July 24, 2007

Hyping the hype...

One of the most blogged about artists at the moment is UK electro/dance/disco inspired youngster Calvin Harris and just by mentioning his name I almost feel like I'm jumping on the bandwagon. But since I received a promo copy of his album I Created Disco in the mail yesterday (the CD will be released September 4), I thought I might as well give it a listen and post my thoughts. So listening is what I did in the car and on the computer this morning, but I really cannot say that I was blown-away or overly impressed. There isn't much new under the sun to be found here (though it is quite entertaining trying to spot some of his many influences), and it's difficult not to ask yourself - why the hype? It certainly is charming, humorous, enjoyable in a very harmless way and should make people rush to the dance floor. But at the same time it's not even half as good as some of the many other interesting bands around. So when you're listening to it, you cannot let go of the feeling that someone has been (and still is) doing some superb marketing. I will give it another listen in the car tonight (just to be sure that I didn't miss anything the first time) and then I'm pretty sure that the CD will live its own quiet life on the back of the shelf.
+ Acceptable in the 80's

2 comments:

Parklife said...

Boy, this is boring! And I don't think a song like this was acceptable in the 80s...;-)

Unknown said...

And this is actually one of the more "likeable" tracks :)