January 7, 2009

If The Year End List Is Missing...

I know some of you out there are still waiting for my "best of 2008" lists. But tell you what. You’ll have to wait forever for those, as I’ve decided not to post any. I enjoy reading other people’s lists, but honestly hate compiling my own, as they seem so definitive and can be used to prove your ignorance at some later stage. And today’s experience was the final proof that this is the only right decision. My Swiss music friend Chris has mailed me a physical copy (in case you don’t know what I'm talking about, it’s one of those circle shaped shiny things called CD that no one seems to be buying anymore) of the debut album Rest Now, Weary Head! You Will Get Well Soon by German one-man band Get Well Soon and it's been on constant rotation today. It’s truly phenomenal and sounds like the perfect and most beautiful mix of Beirut, Radiohead, Bright Eyes, Mew and iLiKETRAiNS. And then again I'm not quite sure, if that description is accurate enough. Released in January 2008 it somehow slipped completely under my radar last year, but after today's 4 listens, I know for sure that a "best album of 2008" list wouldn’t have been the same without it. And tomorrow or some time next week another great 2008 release will probably reveal itself to me and once again confirm that today’s decision was the wisest possible!
+ If This Hat Is Missing I Have Gone Hunting

4 comments:

Parklife said...

Really amazin that a GERMAN band can be that good :-) By the way for me the best Get Well Soon-songs are on their new EP - "Listen! those lost at sea..." and "Dear tempest-tost,..." fantastic stuff!

Chris said...

don't forget "You're Using All Your Senses..."! ;)
Good thing I've sent Morten the Deluxe Edition including the EP... he would have definitely missed the best!

Unknown said...

I wasn't that impressed with the EP when I listened to it today. But I'll give a few more listens tomorrow - that's a promise :)

Charles said...

Too bad there won't be a list from you. I'd love to get inspired. Still, it's a ton of work to compile them - work which I undertake because I'm obsessive about lists and love making them - but I can totally understand why it wouldn't be fun for other folks.

Keep posting great music and I'll get over it soon, I think.

Cheers!