December 7, 2005

Debut album Arular by M.I.A. regularly pops up in the constant flow of "best albums of 2005" lists, so this morning I gave the album a spin in the car (again the library is the resource) to hear for myself what all the fuss is about!!
My hopes weren’t too high, because world music, electronic dancehall, rap etc. really doesn't appeal to me, but I still thought I should give it a try!
Calling this music bad would be highly stupid and ignorant, because I'm more than convinced that in her specific genre/area M.I.A. is a topnotch performer and has plenty of fans. But top performer or not it didn't change much, because this kind of music still doesn’t do anything for me and leaves me quite bewildered, as I honestly fail to hear what is so great about it.
I will give another try later today, but don’t expect that I will change my point of view.

M.I.A. (Webpage)

No comments: