August 9, 2005

Library

I'm definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer, because I've just recently discovered (realized is probably a more accurate word) that our local library (surprise, surprise) has a webpage, so you can make your CD reservations online!

So last week I browsed through (parts of) their collection and made reservations of the following 5 CDs that I've wanted to listen to for a long time:

Martin Hall: Presence
Tool: Lateralus
Belle & Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister
Live: Throwing Copper
Lemon Jelly: '64-'95

Yesterday I picked them up at the library (took 1 minute - I will definitely use this reservation system a whole lot more in the future) and will add a few comments to each album when I've listened to them!

If you search long enough you will find a vinyl copy of Presence somewhere in the attic above my apartment. Since I don't listen to vinyl's anymore these days I haven't heard any of the songs from the album for more than 5 years, but nonetheless I immediately started singing along as soon as I put the CD on. That reminded me of how much I used to listen to it and how much I love(d) it. I now have the album on the computer, but I hope I will be able to find the CD in a Second-Hand store somewhere, because according to Martin Hall's webpage it has been deleted. So if anyone out there has a copy of the CD and is willing to part with - please drop me a line!

Throwing Copper is just one of those albums I should have listened to a long, long time ago. It's a great album containing quite a few brilliant songs like Lightning Crashes, Selling The Drama and All Over You. Mark this one down as another album added to my wish list!

I only have one comment for the Lateralus album - WOW! Light-years away from the music I would normally listen to, but I was blown away. Dark, Noisy, Intense, Haunting and Demanding!

I've tried to listen to Lemon Jelly and I'm not really sure what I expected. I guess it must have been something else than this, because this kind of music really doesn't work for me....

The Boy With The Arab Strap was the only album I knew by Belle & Sebastian before getting my hands on the highly rated If You're Feeling Sinister. I really like The Boy...., so my expections for Sinister was quite high, because widely it seems be considered the best of their albums. However after a couple of listens I'm definitely not ready to rate Sinister any higher than The Boy...., because I cannot help being a bit disappointed. The band sounds very much like I thought they would, but overall I expected the songs to be a bit better than on The Boy...., which I don't think is the case right now. More listens could of course change this!

1 comment:

Man said...

Your not the only dull knife I just learned that by reading your blog.Thanks.