June 14, 2011

Knowing Me, Knowing You...

The girls back home have (admittedly a bit late) been hit by the Mamma Mia craze and are watching the movie over and over as well as constantly spinning Abba on the stereo. So yesterday when driving down to visit the mother of the commander-in-chief, we (as always) listened to Arrival in the car. And when we reach track 5 my thoughts (as always) begin to wander back to the days of vinyl, staying up late in the weekends listening to the radio, because that was the only way you’d ever hear of new and upcoming bands. One of the bands I recall being introduced to this way was Danny Wilson, which sadly decided to break up in 1991 after releasing one smash hit single (that of course being Mary’s Prayer) and two fairly successful albums. Following the split the band released a double CD compilation called Sweet Danny Wilson, which included A- + B-sides, live recordings, cover versions etc. Now what has this got to do with Abba you may rightfully ask? Well; included on the compilation was a wonderful live recording of Knowing Me, Knowing You (which I always refer to as the best cover version recorded of any song...ever) and every time we’ve listened to Arrival, I have promised myself that it’s time to dust off sweet old Sweet Danny Wilson and give the cover a listen. Yesterday I finally did and 20 years on it’s still absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately no live clip seems to exist of the live performance, but this YouTube photo montage does, so that will have to do. Hope you’ll enjoy it nonetheless!

2 comments:

Fredrik said...

Hello! I remember a cover version of Knowing Me Knowing You by a danish band called How Do I. It was on a swedish radio show (maybe late 80:s?) for alternative music and I remember how the host described the song "as a bug crawling inside your shirt". Ring any bells? I haven't heard it since, but I remember it as great, but very odd.

/Fredrik, Stockholm

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment...never heard about that version...but will definitely try tracking it down!